Monday, August 5, 2013

Next Chapter, Day One, Whole30 Paleo Lean-Down

Blame it on my creative and dramatic mother, but I like to imagine my life as a grand drama, played out in scenes and acts and chapters. This latest chapter comes after a fairly quick but deep shake-up in my world. I was laid off just as I was thinking it was time to make my next step, but not sure what that step was. I managed to land what seemed like a great transition job right out of the gate, transitioning from office admin-type work into the fitness/coaching realm. After literally dropping EVERYTHING that gave me strength, pleasure, meaning and purpose to put all my energy into the new job, I realized what I'd done: I'd given up all the things that gave me strength, pleasure, meaning and purpose for a job that was hollow and misguided. Fortunately, I have a phenomenal support system and I reached out into the Universe and pulled myself out of that mess after only a month of my life sacrificed to that important life lesson.

The stress of that energy shift and tidal wave of stress took its toll and many of my healthy habits that keep me running strong in body, mind AND spirit went by the wayside. Last week in my first week as a self-proclaimed housewife and life-coach-in-training, I did a double soul-retrieval (for the extra woo-woo out there), regrounded and just got back in touch with my body-mind-spirit feedback loop. I had to clean out a whole mess of guilt and shame over 'failing' so profoundly and using psychic alchemy, transform my 'failure' into a poignant and profound teachable moment for my Self. I did some edible soothing and claimed every bite of chocolate, every sip of wine and every handful of chips. Towards the end of last week, I met with my amazing think-tank of fellow women coaches-in-training, had some acupuncture done and started planning my re-entry into Healthy-land. (I've got to think of a better name...)

I made my friend, Shasonta's AMAZEBALLS cleansing smoothie yesterday (check it out at shasonta.wordpress.com) and cut out coffee and conventional sugars. Today it's a slow farewell to dairy and fruit sugars. You see, I forgot that little nugget when I was making my smoothie at 6am and tossed a 1/2 a banana and whey protein powder into my smoothie. I'm also weaning off the Flax milk I have as I feel it has too many additives for my version of Whole 30. The goal this time around is a bit different. It's a bit more specific.

While I truly appreciate and will continue to adhere to as much of the Whole 30 principles as possible, I want to blend it with what I have learned and what I love about the science of my own body. I love being able to track and measure crap. Maybe it's the OC tendencies or just keeping my monkey mind busy, but I believe this is a crucial way to bridge people from the idea of having to count calories and eat low fat to a more whole foods approach to losing weight AND gaining life-long health and fitness. In essence, I'm developing my own 'product'. This experiment will become my template for my Transformational Life Coaching packages. But I'm getting off on a tangent. Back to today....

Today, on day one of the "Whole 30 Paleo Lean-Down"(tm) , my whole body is messing with me - head to toe (literally). I am suffering the physical karma of eating crap for the last week. I am bloated, my elimination (aka: poop and pee) schedule is all over the place, my joints hurt and I have severe brain fog. But above all, my focus is to stay focused on my goal (performing a bodybuilder style lean-down using Whole30 principles) while practicing radical self-love. I am also using chinese medicine's food recommendations to help get things back in balance. This is very specific to my current issues and since I'm not well-versed in chinese medicine, I'll leave commentary on those food-choices to other blogger, writers and scientists.

I am documenting my food intake at MyFitnessPal.com and on Tumblr, I am posting weekly full-body shots of me in some shorts that I bought juuuust as I started gaining weight (about 6 weeks ago). Yes, I gained about 15 lbs since my last Whole30, and it is doubtful that much of that is muscle gain, although I managed to limp along with my workout routines. My workout routines can be found at Fitocracy.com under the username LullabyMoon, too, for the whole enchilada.  This is serious, folks!

Next up: Morning Walks and HALTing

No comments:

Post a Comment