Sunday, January 17, 2016

January 17, 2016, part 2

Tonight I felt compelled to make pork. I've skimmed Alisa Vitti's book, "Woman Code" and this is a good time in my cycle to eat pork. So, I stopped in at the local grocery store to get a pork tenderloin.

We also have a plethora of mushrooms and I am not wasting mushrooms rights now, so my dear hubby gets to have the creamy mushroom soup all to himself (which is why you see his soup in a bread bowl). I would eat this at another time when I'm not cleansing, and trade yukons for the russets.

The tenderloin was simple and quick. One thing I've been using in my cookin regularly are salt/herb mixes. 

This is one of my favourite ones I'm using a lot right now. It's a 'Mexican Blend' with Himalayan salt, red pepper and I think oregano and a couple other ingredients. I bought it at a local arts mall at the holidays (Allied Arts here in Bellingham). 

Trader Joes has several mixes both in a grinder as well as in a shaker.

Simple Tenderloin Roast

2-2 1/2 lbs tenderloins
1-2 Tbs. Cider vinegar
3 medium to large cloves of garlic
1 T. Whole mustard seed
Spicy salt and pepper grinder

Preheat oven to 375F
Prep the tenderloins by tying it up and generously sprinkling with salt and pepper. Peel and cut garlic cloves in large chunks and shove between the tenderloins.
Take the third garlic clove and press it into 1t. Olive oil. Add vinegar and mustard seeds and mix thoroughly. Maybe crush a few seeds while you're at it. Slather on the top of the roast, which will become the bottom as you put it in the pan.
In a cast iron pan, heat up a tsp. oil of choice (bacon grease would be the logical choice) and place tenderloins starting mustard side down and sear the outside of the tenderloin.
All seared? Pop it in the oven for about 35-45 min, or when the center reaches 145F.

Simple Mushroom Potato soup

1/2 lg onion, chopped
1t. olive oil
1Tbs. butter
3 c. fresh mushrooms, sliced and/or chopped in large chunks
1 lg. russet potato, diced/sliced in 1" pcs.
1/2 t. salt
3-4 c. broth

Heat 1T. olive oil in a 2 qt. soup pot on low. Let it warm just a bit. Add chopped onion. let it sweat and start to cook on the edges. Add butter til melted, then add mushrooms and stir. Sauté on low to medium for about 7 minutes, or until the mushrooms start to deepen in color and wilt a bit. Add potatoes and stir around. Add broth (my broth was vegetable broth made from frozen veggie scraps along with about a 1/2 c. leftover marinaded artichoke juice from breakfast). Err on the side of less liquid vs. more. You can always add liquid if it's too thick, but it gets tricky when it's too thin.

Cover and let simmer about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are soft. I use an immersion blender, but you can use the blender method, just be careful about exploding hot liquid in a blender - use the lowest setting. Add extra liquid if it's too thick, but be careful not to add too much. The soup will thicken a bit as it cools, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment